Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Ward Hill Lemmon - The President's Body Guard


Ward Hill Lemmon - President Lincoln's Body Guard Posted by Hello

Are you a member of any special groups?
I work with and hang out with a group of people called "The Friends of the Civil War" Which is all about civillians.

What other civilians are with this group?
A Confederate Spy, a Preacher, a "Copperhead", a couple of southern Plantation Ladies.

As Mr. Lemmon do you work with any other body gaurds in protecting Mr. Linoln?
No, When I wasn't around he was at the mercy of the Washington City Police Department.

What do you do in real life?
I drive a truck for an electrical supply company.

What is your real name?
Joe Essling

How long have you been reenacting?
This will be my 16th year as Mr. Lemmon.

Please tell me a little bit about the history behind Mr. Lemmon.
He was a lawyer in Danville, Illinois when Mr. Lincoln followed the judicial circut into Danville. He would prepare the papers for the court cases and Mr. Lincoln would try them. They became very good friends in that period. When Mr. Lincoln became President of teh United States, Mr. Lemmon appointed himself as Mr. Lincoln's personal bodygaurd.

Why did you pick this particular role to portray?
I could be because my sister and her husband portray Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln. I do really enjoy it and I cannot think of anything I would rather do. It fits me.

What kinds of things did you have to do to prepare for this role?
Lots of research on different web sites and reading. Mr. Lemmon's law office is actually still in existance in Danville, Illinois (even though Mr. Lemmon is deceased now). I didn't have to learn much else.

We hear about the heroics that are performed by bodygaurds gaurding numerous presidents. Would you really step in front of a bullet meant for Mr. Lincoln?
Yes, I would.

What kinds of things do you do to make sure the President is safe?
Usually if we go to a social function, I am the only one allowed to carry a pistol. I wqatch to make sure no one else is carrying any side arms or other weapons. In the field it is more difficult because there is more people to watch and I am by myself. Today, there is a group of bodygaurds surrounding the president. Back then there was only myself.

What equipment do you carry?
I carry a vest pocket derringer, a set of brass knuckles, a six shot revolver (1851 Navy Colt Revolver) and a knife.

Where did you find your equipment?
The pistol, derringer and my belt were given to me as a Christmas present by my wife and some friends who got them from Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee.

What is your favorite question from a child? And how would you answer it?
The question I get asked the most is have I had to kill anybody? My answer is: "Why, would it upset you if you are not the first?" It usually stops the questions.

What is your favorite reenactment and why?
Keokuk, Iowa because the town is really behind the reenactment. They actually are very aware that it is going on and don't react funny when you are at a store dressed in period clothing. Other places they ask you what is going on. In Keokuk they ask, "Do you portray some one in particular we should know about?"