Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Mother Mary Elizabeth, S.S.B.


Mother Mary Elizabeth, S.S.B. Posted by Hello

May I call you Mother?
"Mother is fine or Sister"

Are you real?
"Yes, I am a real person and the person I portray is real. My habit is authentic and I trained with Catholic Nuns to prepare for this role. However, I am not a Nun in my Civilian life.

Will you tell me about your real life?
" My real name is Kelsey Jones. I am a retired nurse and I have been Civil War reenacting as a Nun since 1997. I write grants for the Mason City Civil War Council and create web sites. I am a partner in Doc Eli's Period Products."

What is Doc Eli's?
"Doc Eli's is a company the sell Civil War era paper goods, forms and haversack items."

I understand you have a book being publised.
"Yes, Battlefields, Bibles and bandages will be on the shelves in about 6 weeks."

What did you do to prepare for your role as a Civil War Nun?
"I did a lot of research and spent time at a convent learning about Nuns, their history and their work.

Aren't you hot in the habit?
"Our habits are made of natural fibers. They breathe and wick the sweat away from our skin so we feel the heat relatively the same as you do in your shorts and tank tops. If you are hot then yes, so am I. If you are comfortable, then chances are so am I. Some people acclimate to the habit better than others."

Why do you do this portrayal?
"As a reenactor we are historians. I found an area that was not being portrayed but, had a huge impact on medicine and religion in the United States and decided to concentrate my efforts in that erea. Some of us love to act, others love to teach history. We all do it because we enjoy what we do. We have fun!"

Do you get paid to do this?
"Usually no. most events may feed us a single meal. Expenses come out of our pockets, including the gas to travel to events. We do this out of passion for the hobby, not for money."

How often do you reenact the Civil War?
"For some of us not as often as we would like. We work events around our civilian work scheduals. Some of us can do this every weekend (the luxury of being retired) and others may only be able to do events a few times a year."

Where do you go to events?
"We travel all over the United States. You can ask us about other events where you live. Every weekend there is an event somewhere, sometimes more than one. So we can pick and choose where we want to go."

Where do you sleep?
"Right in the tents you see us at. We have period cots or sleep on pallets on the ground. It is just like a camping trip. We cook our food over an open fire, play games, reaad or talk around a roaring camp fire at night."

What did Nuns do?
"Nuns were many things during the Civil War. They were exceptionally good nurses. They were well trained in European medical schools and brought their training here to do missionary work. Nuns were often administrators of hospitals as well as surgical nurses and ward nurses. They also worked in the chapels, kitchens and pharmacies. Oten they were the only ones alowed to take care of quarentined ill."

Thank you Mother.
"You are welcome."