Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Mitchell Wells - Runner


Tanner Creery as Mitchell Wells-Runner Posted by Hello

May I call you Mitchell?
Yes, just call me Mitchell.

Mitchell what is your real name?
Zachary Creery

What do you do in real life?
I just go to school in North Fayette Middle School in Fayette, IA and collect Yugio cards.

How long have you been reenacting?
I started at Belle Plaine, Ia last year (6 months)

So this is really your first Year?
yes it is.

Mitchell, what is your role in the unit?
I deliver messages. Sometimes I get lost and sometimes they have to help me. (Interviewer chuckles) There was this one time that I was told to take a message to a colonel. I asked the him what the man looked like and he told me well he has a white beard! I looked around and evryone seemed to have a white beard! I kept thinking is this guy joking? So anyway I asked around and found the guy finally.

What is the history behind your persona?
He started as a runner and when he was old enough he was in the cavalry for real. He was a great, great, great, great uncle. He was a brother to the person my brother portrays.

Why did you pick this role to portray?
I am too, young to carry a rifle with the infantry.

Do you like this portrayal?
Yes, mainly I just like runnin'.

What did you do to prepare for your role?
I practice running and try to remember everything I get told. One time I almost forgot a message! And I had to run down a steep hill and I almost fell! My brother and the General died out there in the field. A bunch of us were arguing about what equipment we were going to take.

Do they really die out there?
Nope, They just pretend. If they didn't pretend you wouldn't see ME here!

Where did you find your equipment?
We went on the internet to find my uniform. The only other thing I need is my pouch and we got that there, too.

What kind of equipment did you have to have?
A canteen, kepi, coat, vest, pants shoes and long underwear cause things get itchy. Of course a haversack to keep notes in, papers and pencil. But, I don't use those things.

Why not?
Cause I don't have time to write things down. I just have to remember them. When you are a runner you gotta run! Those guys are shooting at you.

That is very interesting Mitchell. What is your favorite reenactment and why?
Usher's Ferry- It was a great day! My dad got wounded and had to go to the field hospital and I got to go with him. And, I got to go to the saloon and have (root) beer and play cards with my buddies. The saloon keeper saw my bowie knife and made me disarm! So I took it out of my boot and one of my friends yelled for me not to stab him cause he wasn't cheating. I told him he better not be and laid it on the table. Abraham Lincoln was there. We had fun there.

Claremont is a period correct encampment style living history.
Yep, and it also gets me closer to my ancestor Jose Wells.

Thank you for your interview Mitchell, that was fun..