Monday, January 16, 2006

Annie Tower Wadsworth Smith


Wife of a Civil War Captain

What is your persona name?
Mrs. Annie Tower Wadsworth Smith

My, that is a long name!
Tower is my mother�s family name, Wadsworth is my maiden name and Smith is my married name.

What role do you portray?
I portray the wife of Captain Smith of Company G, 24th Iowa. Mr. Smith was the sheriff of Linn County right before Governor Kirkwood asked for more volunteers. Our church decided to help raise the regiment.


What is your real name?
Jennifer

How long have you been reenacting?
I have been reenacting this role for 10 years.

What is your role in camp?
I cook, sew and do hand work that was typical of the time. I tell people about the US Sanitary Commission and the roll of women during the war.

What is the history behind the person you portray?
Annie was the daughter of Jeannette and Abner Wadsworth. Mr. Abner owned a lumberyard. He was a businessman and screened all the suitors for my seven sisters and myself. He taught us our sums and letters so we would be of value to our husbands. My husband was in construction and bought his lumber from my father. We lived in Washington County, Maine. We were married January 1, 1846. We have a twelve year old daughter named Jenny.

Why did you pick this role to portray?
My husband found Captain Smith on the roster of the original 24th Iowa and he was the same age. So I took on the role of his wife.

What is your favorite question from a child or Do you really?
They want to know what I am wearing. Sometimes they just want to understand why I stay at home and do I ear these clothes all the time. I tell them that the role of many women was to stay at home and keep the home running. Many homes were farms and had to be kept running. I also tell them these are the clothes of the time and what would they have me ear instead?

What is your favorite thing to do?
I like to knit and cook desserts. Blueberry cobblers and bread. We use a tin box or Dutch oven to bake in.

What is your favorite reenactment and why?
Vinton, Iowa. It was a small event and the public came and interacted with us. North and South camped together. We shared our stories with the public and shared camp duties. It is no longer being held now.
Posted by Picasa